If you’re feeling nostalgic then this city offers the most groundbreaking and unforgettable history. Why? San Francisco in the 1960s was equally or more vital, colorful, and innovative as today. Walk down memory lane and check out these engaging photos from San Francisco.
1. 1960, A work excursion near the Golden Gate Bridge.
No, this is not from an episode of Mad Men, this is San Francisco from the past. A business meeting overlooking the beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge. The different fashion is evident. Where is business casual?
2. Mid 1960s, The ever iconic Cliff House.
The Cliff House is a San Francisco institution. The history here alone makes this restaurant worthwhile. And, the views are more than stunning here.
3. 1969, Hippie power in Golden Gate Park near Haight Ashbury.
The hippies will long be associated with San Francisco. The power of the music, culture, arts, social influence, and more of the cultural revolution is still being felt today.
4. 1965, Chinatown in Downtown San Francisco.
The oldest Chinatown in the USA. This picture is of Grant Avenue, the main street of Chinatown in San Francisco in 1965.
5. 1966, The ever stunning view from Twin Peaks.
The view at Twin Peaks has changed a lot over 50 years. This is a wonderful view of the city and beyond from a classic and very popular spot for tourists and locals.
6. 1960s, A beautiful view at Fisherman’s Wharf.
The Franciscan was built in the late 1950s. The Franciscan restaurant has been a long standing part of San Francisco seafood dining and Fisherman’s Wharf.
7. Early 1960s, Classic cars on a steep hill.
The date and location is not confirmed. This could be taken on Lombard street. Let us know if you have any suggestions?
8. 1960, Embarcadero Freeway in Downtown San Francisco.
In this photo, you can see the Ferry Building and Embarcadero, circa 1960. The freeway was damaged in the 1989 earthquake, and torn down in 1994.
9. Late 1960s, Venetian Bakery in a different era.
This is Venetian Bakery pictured at Powell and Francisco. The date could be from the late 1960s. This photo captures the time perfectly.
10. 1968, Rock music was the music and pulse of San Francisco.
In this photo, this is Creedence Clearwater Revival in 1968. The picture may be taken in Haight Ashbury in San Francisco. Rock on!